Sunday 3 January 2016

NFL Week 17

The shambles that is the final week of the NFL season is upon us.

Lines all over the place, questionable motivation for teams and players who usually amaze us with their skills are stood on the sidelines with ear pieces in.

It is a good time of the season for betting in some respects as school is out for summer! In meaningless games it's often worth just backing points and cheering on every point scored as we know in all sport it takes more effort to play defense than play offense. The books know this but only possibly add on a couple of points or so which is as we all know less than a field goal.

Be careful with your wagers this week. Do you research, try and find the motivation angles for some teams and be lucky!


Jets @ Bills +2.5
The Jets need this game and Rex wants nothing more to shove this to Gang Green. They always say his Ra-Ra speeches get his players up for games but is this really the case? It's going to be cold, wet and probably snow. I lean to the Jets here as let's see some FitzMagic in upstate New York.


Buccaneers @ Panthers -11
Laying eleven points is a big ask for Carolina here as even if they do win comfortably they may leave that back door wide open. Yes they want to win and wrap up the number one seed and home field in front of their home fans but now the unbeaten run is over more importantly they want to stay healthy. A pass for me.


Patriots @ Dolphins +10
I love the unders here! Miami are offensively challenged and New England just want to win, take the number one seed and get the hell out of dodge. I expect to see New England run the ball at every opportunity so give me some of the under forty seven points.


Ravens @ Bengals -9.5
Divisional game. End of season. Nothing really for either team to play for but the Bengals would like a first round bye. You seriously want to bet this game? Thought not.


Saints @ Falcons -6
Will this be Drew Brees' last game as a Saint? More than likely it will be and in the Georgia Dome maybe we will have one final shoot out between these two old foes. Even with the point line set at fifty three it's overs or nothing for me.


Jaguars @ Texans -6
One and a half million different things need to happen to stop the Texans winning the division and handing it to Indianapolis but I imagine they will start their starters. Houston are not an elite team so I can't lay six points with them against this potentially high flying Jags offense. If news filters through from Indy early that results are going Houston's way then that Texans bench may soon be filled with some familiar faces.


Steelers @ Browns +10.5
Who will be under centre for Cleveland? Pittsburgh need this game like blood and hope that the Jets lose so Pittsburgh progress. I did warn a few weeks ago about the Steelers' apparent hubris. The weather is set for snow flurries so will that impede the high flying Pittsburgh passing game? I'd love to see Cleveland ruin the Steelers' play off hopes. Is it heart over head ruling me here though? Cleveland or pass at this big number.


Raiders @ Chiefs -7
It seems an eternity ago that Oakland beat San Diego on Christmas Eve and I've eaten my own body weight in chocolate since then. It's likely with nothing to play for that some of the Raiders' more chunkier units have followed my example. At any level of a touchdown or below I'm happy to take the Chiefs here. They are the better team and if they win and the Broncos lose then they will be crowned divisional champs.


Titans @ Colts -6
Good lord who knows what's happening in Indianapolis. I wouldn't touch this game with my worst enemies' money. FYI if Tennessee lose they get the number one draft pick but I'm sure that would have more effect on the game if it was to be played in Tennessee with the home fans actively cheering a loss!


Washington @ Cowboys -4
You have to believe that Washington will rest many of their starters a week before they host a play off game. It would be the sensible thing to do but does Jay Gruden strike you as a man who makes sensible decisions?


Lions @ Bears PK
Detroit smoked the 49ers last Sunday but I have a feeling that was their last hoorah this season. Outside of the cosy confines of the Silverdome they travel to a freezing cold Soldier Field where the home side want to end the season strongly.


Eagles @ Giants -3.5
Will Philadelphia get any lift from sacking Chip Kelly. Will New York play hard in what is more than likely going to be Tom Coughlin's final game. Who knows and in truth outside of the City of Angels and of the Big Apple who really cares. Over fifty one points is the only bet I'd ever consider making in this game.


Vikings @ Packers -3
Another game I'm not sure I want to take part in. At face value it's a no brainer back of the tried and tested Green Bay Packers. However, they haven't looked capable of pulling away from any team and if this is turned into a defensive battle there will only be one winner and they will be playing in purple.


Chargers @ Broncos -9
I lean to the under forty one points as I expect Denver to put this game in the hands of their defense. It could be worse for the Chargers as favourable winter weather means its only twenty degrees colder in Denver than when they took off from California. This could be San Diego's last game being San Diego (if that makes sense). Denver need to win to clinch and they should just about get it done but I ain't laying nine points with them.


Rams @ 49ers +3
This could end up 10-3 as two offensively challenged teams square off. Todd Gurley, the best offensive talent for either team, is  unlikely to play for the Rams and San Fran play stoutly against the run. Jeff Fisher needs this game to go 8-8 and kill my under 7.5 season win total bet on the Rams. Of course St Louis will win this game outright! I prefer the under 37.5 points though from a betting perspective as although I say these games usually go over this is Jeff Fisher. His life mission is to go 8-8. If you can't tell I hate Jeff Fisher. Maybe you should ignore my views on the Rams!


Seahawks @ Cardinals -6
Seattle need to sort out their offensive line and they need to sort it out quickly else their post season will be cut vert very short. Arizona need a win here and a Carolina loss to secure the number one seed and home field throughout the play offs. Arizona will have a week off no matter what so I expect them to continue to play to maintain their rhythm whereas you may see the Hawks be sensible with their guys. Arizona minus the points for me and probably an under forty seven bet will cash nicely given both teams wish to get out unscathed.



I feared the worst last week and I was right as I had my worst week of the season going 1-4 to take my season long record to 45-35. At this stage of the season it's so hard to pick five games each week and I bet the current leader is pleased he is four and a half points clear. Rounding Again is 57-20-3 a truly incredible return and only the worst possible luck will see them from not taking home the first prize. I salute you!

#SuperContest Week 17 Picks
Bears -1
Cardinals -6.5
Chiefs -6.5
Giants -3
Jets -3
Packers -3


My least confident five SuperContest picks of the year but five a week is the rule!


Best of luck everybody with all your bets and I hope my little round ups have at least given a little bit of assistance over the course of the regular season.

I shall be back next week with play off thoughts, a round up of my eight Divisional Selections and my five under/over season long win total bets.


All the best
Jimmy




No comments:

Post a Comment